Thursday 6 October 2016

Song choice

The song I have chosen to make my final music video to is 'Lights out' by Santigold. I chose this song because as far as I am aware, it has no current music video accompaniment, which means that when brainstorming ideas for the video's concept I won't be swayed to try and mimic or recreate the original. As a personal fan of this song and the artist, I already have good knowledge of the song and have listened to it many times. 



I was particularly drawn to the lyrics of the song and upon researching the meaning I found no clear answer.

"Lights Out"

Lights out, shoot up the station
TV's dead, where's there to run?
Watch everybody come undone

Lights out, we'll make it easy, we'll make it fun
Won't let them see now, how they had won
Still I wait another round

Darling
Don't got to worry, you're locked in tight
Darling
Don't got to worry, turn out the light

Wiped out, no concentration
They got us basking in the storm
I watch it as it loses form

I doubt, they could see me; that's what I want
A casualty, but I am upfront
And I know what it's about

Chorus

I'm still here shakin' my head
The one you can't account for
I keep just one step ahead
There's no place to run 

One interpretation I found was that the song was about the public being in constant fear because the media distributes bad news and frightening events. It highlights that we rely heavily on the news and television to direct us in what to be scared about and what not to be. I liked this idea because I want my concept to involve media stigmatisation and well-established fear, but I wanted to counteract the fear that people express in the video with a comical theme which makes the audience not fear the characters at everyone in the video does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment